Red Buttes Crossing
Bessemer Bend/Red Buttes Crossing. The Bureau of Land Management interpretive signs lie on the far side of the river. Location: Bureau of Land Management interpretive site with six plaques, located at the Bessemer Bend of the North Platte River. Near Mile Marker 106 on Highway 220, turn north onto county Road 308 (Bessemer Bend Road) and follow for 1.5 miles, turn right at intersection, continue to bridge and cross, turn right and continue 0.1 mile to Bureau of Land Management Interpretive Site. The total distance from Highway 220 to Stop No. 8 is 2.2 miles.

WagonHistory: Bessemer Bend, known to pioneer travelers as Red Buttes because of the nearby rock formations, represents the last crossing of the North Platte River for emigrants on the south bank. Fur traders pioneered it. Robert Stuart and his party built a cabin near this spot in November 1812 on their return trip to St. Louis from Astoria, Oregon, intending to stay the winter. Although fear of Indian attack led them to abandon the cabin, it represents the first Euro-American structure in Wyoming. Early Oregon Trail emigrants used this crossing when the water within the Platte was low.