Battle of Red Buttes
Battle of Red Buttes monument Location: Battle location approximately three to four miles west of Fort Caspar on the north side if the North Platte River; exact location unknown. Site indicated by a historical marker at the paved turnout on the north side of Highway 220 about 0.6 mile west of Robertson Road, or three miles southwest of the intersection of Highway 220 and Wyoming Boulevard.

WagonHistory: On July 21, 1865, a military wagon train left Platte Bridge Station (Fort Caspar) to carry rations and cargo to Sweetwater Station, the next post to the west. The return trip on July 26 was under the command of Sergeant Amos Custard, who had been warned that there were hostile Indians in the vicinity. That afternoon, the train of three wagons was attacked on the north side of the North Platte by a large party of Lakota, Cheyenne, and Arapaho Indians.